Mississauga Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy is provided by The Health First Group at our Mississauga, Milton, and Etobicoke locations.
Pelvic Health concerns are very common and not discussed as often. Many suffer silently without the realization that there are several effective and evidence-based treatments available today. The Health First Group is helping bridge the gap for patients in order to assist them in improving their quality of life.
Pelvic Floor Dysfunction can be caused by:
- Hypotonicity, weak pelvic floor muscles.
- Hypertonicity, tight pelvic floor muscles.
In 2010, the Cochrane Collaboration had successfully concluded that Physiotherapists with training in pelvic floor rehabilitation should be the initial line of defence before surgical consultations for stress, urge, and mixed incontinence in women.
Pelvic floor muscles are a group of muscles which are attached to the front, back and sides of the pelvic bone and sacrum. These muscles act like a hammock, supporting the bladder, uterus, prostate and rectum. These are crucial and must be able to contract and be relaxed for urination, bowel movement, and in women, sexual intercourse.
Pelvic pain is often caused when muscles have too much tension (hypertonic) or when there is a low-tone (hypotonic) as stated above.
Hypertonic muscles can cause the following symptoms:
- Urinary frequency, urgency, hesitancy, stopping and starting of the urine stream, painful urination, or incomplete emptying
- Constipation, straining, pain with bowel movements
- Unexplained pain in your low back, pelvic region, hips, genital area, or rectum
- Pain during or after intercourse, orgasm, or sexual stimulation
- Uncoordinated muscle contractions causing the pelvic floor muscles to spasm
Contact The Health First Group to set up your appointment to see a Mississauga or Etobicoke Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy Specialist today!