Stuck working from home in Mississauga, Milton, or Etobicoke? Are your legs sore from sitting under a desk all day? It is tiring but do not worry. Leg stretches are a great way to get rid of all that tension and stress radiating in your legs. If stretching is not enough, consider a physiotherapist. Physiotherapy is a practice used to alleviate any muscle from pain or tension. Physiotherapists target specific points on a muscle in order to help get rid of tension.
The Health First Group offers physiotherapy in our 3 locations around the GTA and Halton areas, listed lower below in the article. Our physiotherapists are trained, certified, and ready to assist you in the case that you need some relief in your leg muscles.
Need some exercises that can help you prevent and alleviate cramps in the leg muscles? We have you covered! Try some of our favourites:
STRETCHES YOU CAN DO TO PREVENT CRAMPS
Your quadriceps, commonly known as quads, is the muscle group in the very front of your thigh. These muscles are the ones that help you most when you walk or jump. It is important to train them and make sure they are in good shape so that you will remain mobile.
Here is a great stretch for your quadriceps:
- Stand facing a wall, with your hand on the wall for support.
- Grab one of your feet with the hand that is not on the wall and pull it up until it reaches your backside.
- Hold for 15 seconds and then repeat on the other leg. You should feel this stretch on the front of your thighs.
The muscles of your calves are located on the back of your lower leg. Your calves are the muscles that move your heel while performing activities such as walking or running.
- Here is a stretch suitable to help your calves:
- Place your right foot in front of you.
- Bend at the waist to lean forward toward your extended right leg, and bend your right knee.
- Flex your right ankle so that your toes facing your body.
- Hold, then repeat with your left leg and foot.
Inner Thigh Stretch:
Your inner thigh muscles are there to stabilize your hips and knees. When focusing there with your exercise, it is often recommended to tone them.
A nice stretch for inner thighs:
- Stand with a very wide stance.
- Bend your right knee while shifting your entire body right. You will now feel a stretch in your left inner thigh.
- Hold and then repeat the cycle on your left side.
Supine Leg Stretch:
This super stretch works many muscles in your body. You will feel a stretch in your lower back, hamstring, calf, and ankle.
Steps for the Supine Leg Stretch:
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet sitting flat on the floor.
- Bend one knee to your chest and then hug it into your body.
- Straighten that leg up, gently, towards the ceiling.
- Pull your straightened leg slightly toward yourself.
- Lower the leg and then repeat the process with the opposite leg.
The piriformis muscle is a very deep internal muscle that rotates the hip. It is located on the outside of your glutes.
Here is how you can stretch this deep muscle:
- Sit on the floor with both of your legs extended in front.
- Cross your right leg over your left.
- Place your right hand on the floor behind your body.
- Place your left hand on your right quad.
- Now twist your torso until you are facing behind yourself.
- Hold for 10 seconds and then switch the positions of your legs and hold for 10 seconds once again.
If you would like to come in for a physiotherapy session, you may visit our Mississauga Millcreek Physiotherapy Clinic, Mississauga Heartland Physiotherapy Clinic, Milton Physiotherapy Clinic, or Etobicoke Physiotherapy Clinic.
6981 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8
Mississauga, Ontario, L5N 6B8
200 Matheson Blvd W #104
Mississauga, ON, L5R 3L7
415 The Westway, Unit 12B
Etobicoke, ON, M9R 1H5
174 Mill Street, Suite 105
Milton, ON, L9T 1S2