How acupuncture treatment can improve one’s mental health toll by the pandemic through reducing stress levels, relieves anxiety etc.
About 1 in 5 people Canadians will personally experience a mental health problem or illness. Mental health is the state of taking care of one’s health mentally such as stress, depression, anxiety etc. These issues could be developed from family heritage or from stressful life experiences.
“The second wave of the pandemic has intensified feelings of stress and anxiety, causing alarming levels of despair, suicidal thoughts and hopelessness in the Canadian population.” The University of British Columbia, 3 December 2020, https://www.med.ubc.ca/news/new-national-survey-finds-canadians-mental-health-eroding-as-pandemic-continues/
Mental health as taken a large toll on many individuals during the pandemic. During the pandemic people often forget to check in with themselves as they have too much to do or worry about. The importance of taking care of one’s mental health is to build a healthy psychological, emotional, and social well-being. Not taking care of your mental health can lead to many negative consequences such as risk of heart attacks and strokes, anger, drug and alcohol use and even being filled with many negative thoughts and feelings etc. While those that take care of their mental health benefit with a healthy mindset that allows them to easily connect with loved ones, improve their well-being and enjoy life.
What is acupuncture:
Acupuncture is a treatment that stimulates the nerve receptors that lie within the skin and muscles. Originated from traditional Chinese and southeastern Asia treatments, acupuncture is done to create peace within the mind, body and spirit. Acupuncturists help individuals with natural healing, reduces chronic back pain, and improves the homeostasis of the body.
Here are some tips and advice that we recommend for improving your mental health:
- Spend time with loved ones: communicating with loved ones is one of the best ways to improve your mental health. This can easily be done by spending time and connecting with family and friends even if it is done virtually. Spending time with loved ones to catch up or just talk betters your self-esteem as you express gratitude for the things you have in your life.
- Meditating: taking time to calm your mind through meditation helps individuals clear their thoughts and just focus their well-being. This can be done through listening to calming music, practicing yoga and even through simple breathing exercises. Meditating benefits individuals as it brings out their inner peace that helps in coping in soothing ways.
- Taking time for yourself: setting time to take care of yourself is essential in improving your mental health. This can easily be done by spending time with your interests and hobbies, binge watching your favourite show or even catching up on sleep. Mental selfcare will allow you to reflect on yourself and become more aware of what is happening around you.
- Keeping a healthy lifestyle: Looking after your physical and mental health is essential in maintain a positive mental health state. You can easily take care of your physical health by exercising, eating and drinking healthy or going on self-reflecting walks. Taking care of your mental health can be done by meditating, talking to others and even through breathing excises.
- Sharing your feelings: Sharing your feeling and thoughts with others can help your better reflect on yourself. This will help you as you can feel freer and more open with your feelings and can even receive helpful advice from others.
- Reaching out for help: Getting help when you need it is a very important step in improving one’s mental health. This can often be quite hard for some people to take the step and ask for help. Asking for help can lead you to the right people and the right treatments to allow you to better yourself and improve your overall mental health.
Following some of these simple recommendations can help benefit yourself in improving your overall mental health.
What does acupuncture do:
Acupuncture is a treatment done by having thin needles that are lightly inserted into the body stimulating nerve receptors within the skin and muscles. This allows one to improve on their mental health as the soothing treatment gives a feeling on peace, relaxation and calmness.
Connect with service offered:
When looking for more advanced ways to relief stress or discomfort, we provide Acupuncture Treatments that can help you. At The Health First Group, we have Acupuncturists at our Mississauga, Milton and Etobicoke locations. Acupuncture is a great way to cope with your mental health as you can take the time to relax and take a self-care opportunity. When looking for a peaceful and relaxing way to calm your body, consider visiting us for your acupuncture treatment.
Dr. Preety Somal, Chiropractor
Preety works at The Health First Group’s Milton and Mississauga Millcreek Chiropractic Clinic