How to cope with stress during this pandemic through massage therapy
About 8 in 10 adults (78%) say that this pandemic has been a significant source of stress in their life. The pandemic has brough an increased stress toll to many individuals. Stress has always been a common part of individuals lives, but the pandemic has made it worst. In times like this, many people get stressed about work, family, home or worried about the COVID crisis.
Quote: “Moreover, 48 percent of Canadians say they feel “really or seriously stressed” at least once a week, including 16 percent who say they feel really stressed “every day”. While stress can be both good and bad, on average Canadians say 47 percent of the stress they face is of the bad variety.” Ipsos, 18 October 2020, https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/stress-becoming-way-life-canadians
The importance of coping with one’s stress is to maintain balance and calmness to one’s self-esteem. Individuals can often find it hard to cope with their stress during the pandemic, but not taking care of your mental health can lead to many negative consequences. Those that find positive ways to cope with their stress benefit from better sleep, increased productivity, positive mood and overall a healthy mindset. While those that do not cope with their stress lead to health problems, high blood pressure and much more.
What is Massage Therapy:
Massage therapy is the treatment that consists of manipulating soft tissues in one’s body including their muscles, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments, and joints. These therapist help relive body pain and discomfort.
Here are some tips and advice that we recommend for coping with stress during the pandemic:
- Get enough sleep: not getting the right amount of sleep will makes yourself and your body tired the next day. Taking time to relax your body and mind will decrease levels of stress and will give your mind better focus the next day. Having a regular sleep routine and getting the average 8 hours of sleep each day can help your mind become calm and reduce stress.
- Setting time for yourself: setting time to take care of yourself is essential for coping with stress. This can easily be done by spending time with your interests and hobbies, binge watching your favourite show or even catching up on sleep. Mental selfcare will allow you to reflect on yourself and reduce stress.
- Meditation: taking time to calm your mind through meditation helps individuals clear their stress related thoughts and just focus their well-being. This can be done through listening to calming music, practicing yoga and even through simple breathing exercises. Meditating benefits individuals as it brings out their inner peace that helps in coping with stress.
- Creating a schedule: people often get extra stressed when they realize that they have many different things to do in a short span of time. Worrying about when they will finish leads to increased stress. Creating daily or weekly schedules can help bring balance to an individual’s life. Setting goals, priorities, expectations and reminders in their schedules can help individuals to complete tasks on time without worrying.
- Eating and staying healthy: Eating healthy and getting a good amount of exercise each day can help in balancing out a healthy lifestyle. Eating and staying health benefits individuals in boosting their productivity and improves their overall health.
Following some of these simple recommendations can help benefit yourself in reducing stress levels and bring calmness and peace to your mind and body.
How massage therapy will help:
Massage therapists help individuals through treating discomforts in relation to occupation stresses, muscular over-use, and chronic pain. By carrying all those stressful thoughts, it is important to sometimes take some time to relax. Massage therapy allows one to calm their thoughts while getting a relaxing massage. This will benefit an individual as their mind and thoughts are cleared with the added benefit of a soothing massage.
Connect overall with service offered:
When looking for ways to relief stress caused from home, work, family etc., we provide Massage Therapy treatments that can help you. The Health First Group, we have massage therapists at our Mississauga Millcreek, Mississauga Matheson, Milton, and Etobicoke locations. We treat chronic conditions such as headaches, stress and stress-related conditions, chronic fatigue syndrome and much more that will help relieve your body pains and discomfort. With millions of Canadians suffering from stress each day, take some time to relax with our massage therapy.
Dr. Preety Somal, Chiropractor
Preety works at The Health First Group’s Milton and Mississauga Millcreek Chiropractic Clinic